Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thing 11:Online Productivity

Using Google Docs was much like using Word. Navigation was familiar, I was able to use the same methods for adding accents and such (for Spanish characters) and attaching photos, links etc. was uncomplicated.

Do I think that it can replace Microsoft office? I'm not sure. I think there will always be people who are uncomfortable with having their work out there on the web. So I don't think Microsoft has anything to worry about anytime soon. My husband also said sometimes using Google Docs or sites like it are problematic with large corporations because when you try to share, they can't get pass the firewalls. That obviously would not be a problem for our students.

I think it is an enabling resource for students who don't have computers at home but can get to the library or even those that do have home access. Students no longer have to tote around jump drives, hoping they don't lose them or panic when they don't work on school computers because of different formats etc. You know what though, I would still caution students to back up their work on a handy, dandy jump drive incase they don't have access to the internet. I would not want the new excuse of choice to be "...but I couldn't get online." Ending on the positive, I love that students can collaborate on group projects in a more controlled environment than a wiki by limiting access to their group members. Public but private...sweet!

As a teacher, multiple versions of student work in one location is paramount. When doing check points there can be immediate feedback, there are fewer papers to carry around and we only have to print when and what is necessary. Correcting would be breezy since I'm sure there are ways to create files and add comments. I am in awe of all of this as another resource for our classrooms and eagerly await the opportunity to put it to use....SPCG

No comments:

Post a Comment